Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Bond of a Common Language













Recently, I watched a movie called the Grass Is Greener with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.  I am horrible at memorizing movie quotes, but one line stated by the oil millionaire, Charles, went something like this, "The one thing that seems to separate us Americans and you British is the bond of a common language." 

I find this both humorous and true.  Another term from this movie was Anglophile.  This probably applies to me because I really to have a deep-rooted fascination for the British as a whole. 


Evidence:


1.  I took a British Lit. class last semester for Fun.  I am not even an English major...


2.  Even though I'm not very good with accents, I particularly try to imitate British accents.


3.  On a Europe trip to England, France, and Spain, my all-time favorite place was Salisbury, England (like the steak).  There was an awesome cathedral that I fell in love with due to its understated simplicity.













 












4.  Reading books by British authors... One of my favorites genres of literature

5.  I love tea... yes, I am a coffeeholic, but I would love to establish a daily tea time for myself {scones and all :)}


6.  I always wish my last name had something added on to the end of it such as Longsworth or Longsmith... essentially, a surname that was undeniably British in nature.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some would say we speak the exact same language just with a 'funny accent.'  I will list below some words used in Britain that would never be used here in America, unless by a British transplant to the States.

I perused through a lengthy list of British slang.  Here are my absolute favorites:

Diddle:  to cheat someone out of money- to short change them

Full of beans:  have WAY too much energy; usually applies to young kids with 'ants in their pants'

Gormless:  someone who is clueless

Wonky:  something that is unstable or shaky


I obtained the words from and paraphrased the definitions a bit: 
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment