Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

An Uncharacteristic Word to the Wise



Since I claim to be a 'word nerd', I figured I would have some fun with the English language.  To briefly describe what I mean, I will be:  looking up obscure, unheard of words and try to guess what they mean.  Then I will look up the actual meanings, list them out, and see how close I came to guessing them. 

1. cloakatively

This should be interesting... 

My Guess:  Someone wearing a cloak that talks way too much.

The Dictionary's Response:  superficially

Example used in a sentence:  These reforms have only cloakatively made the situation better for the poor. 

2. exipotic
First thing that came to mind was Harry Potter... 


My Guess:  A smell from the outside.

The Dictionary's Response:  purgative; cleansing the body of illness
    
Example used in a sentence:  While the medicine was                                              exipotic  to his body, it made a mess of his bathroom. 

3. kexy

Besides the obvious replacement of the letter k with s...

My Guess:  An unorderly personality?!

The Dictionary's Response:   dry, brittle, withered

Example used in a sentence:  The rustling of the kexy leaves alerted the campers to the bear's presence. 

(FYI- This sentence makes me laugh.)






4.   macellarious

My Guess:  A hilarious, masterminding sort of celery. 

The Dictionary's Response: pertaining to butchers or meat markets 

Example used in a sentence:  Some practitioners of the macellarious arts are more humane to animals than vegans.

(I might have been 'slightly' off-base.)






5. mowburnt

This sounds made up...

My Guess:  scorched grass that shouldn't have been mowed in advance.

The Dictionary's Response: of crops, spoiled by becoming overheated 

Example used in a sentence:   The heat wave last August left us with heaps of mowburnt and useless crops.

(I was surprisingly close with my guessing game.)

6. obstrigillate 

My guess:  An overbearing presence or obstacle to be overcomed.

The Dictionary's Response: to oppose; to resist 

Example used in a sentence: I will not obstrigillate the efforts of my opponent to besmirch my good name. 

(Besmirch?  that's another word that I don't know.. oh well)

7. paterophobia 

Yay, I have a chance to guess part of it!

My Guess:  A fear of patterns?

The Dictionary's Response:  fear of the early Church fathers 

Example used in a sentence:  The Romans' paterophobia mellowed over time, until Christianity was fully accepted.

(Interesting... I might have to google this one and find out more about it.)

 

8. weequashing

My Guess:  Quieting down a toddler yelling, "Wee..." in public.

The Dictionary's Response:  spearing of fish or eels by torchlight from canoes

Example Used in a Sentence:  The Scouts went out weequashing, but they forgot to obtain the proper permit.




(I can sincerely say that I would have never guessed this one in a million years.  Talk     
about a random word.)


I figure you have read enough for now.  I need to give thanks where it is due.  I got the words and the example sentences from the website:  http://phrontistery.info/clw4.html











No comments:

Post a Comment